1930 Packard 740 rhd Limousine, body by Packard, of the Nawab of Bahawalpur, has been driven 25000 miles, had been inherited property of princess’s Sadiqa Abbasi, is now in the keep of the Bashir family of Lahore who have restored the car and recommissioned it. Packard Car Company was top echelon of us makes and American gentry preferred it to Rolls Royce. By late 1920’s Indian maharajas also started preferring Packards for silence of operation and ease of maintenance, and demand was high as few rhd were available. Packard models did not go by year of manufacture, rather series of production. Nawab Bahawalpur had already bought a 1928 series 6 convertible coupe and by end 1929, wanted a tourer also. The Prince of Bhopal already had a Packard tourer on order but there was some issue and that car was earmarked by the Bombay dealer for Bahawalpur instead. a court case ensued and the tourer was ordered to be given to Bhopal.
The Nawab Bahawalpur then ordered two series 7, a convertible coupe and a limousine. This 7th series car, chassis no. built in 1930 was one of two rhd limousines ordered by Indian maharajas. The other sister car was for the maharani of porbandar who famously sent her favourite pink slipper to Packard for a matching interior in mohair cloth.
This Packard, originally painted sea green with dark purdah smoked glass with pull down curtains in the rear and was used mainly by the royal ladies. It is exceptionally appealing to the eye as it has the low roof proportions coupled with a svelte bodyline that is often seen in movies. The car had luxurious mohair cloth interior in the back and leather in the chauffer compartment. There is a dictagraph intercom from rear seat to the chauffer. The car has twin side mount covered spare wheels with rear view mirrors. This packard custom eight cost the 27-year-old his highness Nawab Sadiq Muhammad Abbasi v, ruler of Bahawalpur, a princely sum of $5500. After 1966, the car was in service of Princess Sadiqa Abbasi in Karachi. It was in poor shape by 1977 due to the humid conditions which took most toll on the superb cloth interior. It was repainted in silver circa 1977 and reupholestered. The car was extensively restored in 1988 in maroon/beige paint scheme. Mechanical detail: the car is a “custom eight” with an 8 cylinder petrol engine of 6300 cc with 6 volt electric system. The four speed manual gear box is not synchromesh and double de clutching is required for all changes. The 1st gear is not used except for starting off on a slope. The engine temperature is automatically controlled by opening and closing of the radiator shutters by a thermostat. The steering has controls for head lights and engine speed. The accelerator pedal is in the middle of the clutch and brake pedals. The car has a bijur lubrication system which allows all the oiling points on the chassis to be given measured amount of oil with a pull un a pump under the dash. a twin dry plate clutch with an open drive shaft drives the rear wheels. it has unassisted manual brakes. There is a king Seely fuel gauge which works on pressure of fuel in the tank through a very fine capillary tube to the dash. It had the optional visional windscreen wiper system. The tyre size is 6.50 x 19. Rear tyre pressure is 45 psi, front 40 psi.